Equine vet services and treatments for horses and donkeys
Skilled veterinarians to provide veterinary care for your horses and donkeys. We offer comprehensive equine veterinary services for your horse, from routine health checks and preventative health, to medical care and surgery. We also offer high quality equine veterinary dentistry, reproductive services, a portable crush, and portable x-ray and ultrasound equipment.
We offer an ambulatory service or consultation and care at our stables in Berry.
Services & treatments
Vaccinations and parasite control
We offer routine health checks, tapered to your horse’s stage in life and performance level, and best practice vaccination programs (including Hendra virus vaccination if desired), with preventative medicine tailored to each individual animal and owner/property. Our Vets can provide professional advice regarding intestinal parasite management programs including in-house or external laboratory faecal testing for best practice parasite management.
We offer a specialist rehabilitation and physiotherapy service.
We are skilled and equipped for equine lameness diagnosis. We can localise your horse’s lameness with flexion tests and nerve blocks, and then using our portable x-ray and ultrasound to further diagnose and treat the source of the lameness.
We have staff skilled in thorough pre-purchase examinations of prospective horses for our clients. We use the Equine Veterinarian’s Association of Australia guidelines for our pre-purchase examinations and can include a series of x-rays of the horse’s limbs if desired.
Gelding and other equine surgery
Our Veterinarians are skilled in equine sedation, general anaesthesia in the field, and general surgical procedures. We offer gelding of colts, wound management including suturing/stitching, and many other soft tissue surgeries, such as lump removals.
Equine emergency vet services
Berry Vet Clinic is able to offer horse owners high quality after hours care, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Our Vets are experienced in emergency equine veterinary care. We can come to you or you can meet us at our stables in Berry.
Equine reproduction services
We offer a variety of equine reproduction services including diagnosis and monitoring of pregnancy with ultrasound and artificial insemination services. The programs will be under the direct care and control of our consultant veterinarian, Dr Stuart Keller. Dr Stuart has for many years run a complete equine breeding service at Tamworth, providing extensive artificial breeding and stallion management to the horse industry in northern NSW.
- Residential care and management of your mare in preparation for breeding
- Or, alternatively, home visits with our portable crush
- Pre-mating examinations and swabs (if required)
- Impregnation using chilled shipped or frozen semen
- Acceptance of mares for embryo transfer programs
- Post-mating examinations and uterine flushes (if required)
- Ultrasound for pregnancy diagnosis and monitoring
- Mare and foal checks, and foaling assistance
Berry Vet Clinic is the only vet in the area to offer a portable equine crush to increase the scope and quality of the equine procedures that we can undertake in the field. This allows us to keep your horse safe as we perform veterinary procedures. We use this crush regularly for equine reproduction and dentistry.
Diagnostic equipment – x-ray, ultrasound, blood tests
Berry Vet Clinic has an excellent array of diagnostic equipment at its disposal. Our technology includes:
- In-house blood collection and on the spot analysis for a wide variety of conditions. This means we can have your horses results in just minutes, and we can commence treatment immediately. We also have access to IDEXX Telemedicine, an external support from veterinary medical and pathology specialists, helping us to deliver the most up to date recommendations to formulate ongoing testing and treatment plans.
- Comprehensive portable digital radiology and advanced ultrasound equipment. With access to specialist interpretation of your horse’s images if required.
Other services – freeze branding and sedation for clipping
We have experience and equipment for freeze branding horses, and are also happy to administer and supervise the sedation of horses that are nervous or not obliging for clipping.
Contact us to make an appointment for your horse today.